Wednesday 5 September 2012

Back to the start again...


Lots of lovely, kind people have been asking all kinds of questions about how I’ve been during the pregnancy so far (thank you!) so I thought I’d just give you a quick retrospective on the first trimester.

How did I realise I was pregnant?

The short answer: Nausea, combined with turning into an eating machine.

I thought I’d grown out of my travel sickness but the trip back from Koh Mak was a bit of a nightmare.  I felt sick for pretty much all of the 11 hour trip home.  When I went out to the supermarket to pick up ‘a few’ groceries that afternoon, I came home with six or seven shopping bags full of fruit and vegetables, half of which I then proceeded to eat, straight out of the bag, over the kitchen sink.  I was like the human equivalent of The Very Hungry Caterpillar: I had made it through eight plums, half a cucumber, and an orange before it occurred to me that this was not quite normal behaviour.

How has the whole pregnant bit been so far?

The short answer: AWESOME!

Apart from a bit of nausea right at the start, I’ve been really lucky: no morning sickness.  The only symptoms I’ve had have been food cravings and tiredness, but anyone who knows me will attest that eating an obscene amount and sleeping a lot is kind of what I’m good at, so it’s not exactly out of the ordinary for me.  In fact, it’s quite nice to have an excuse to be a lazy pig for once J

The most overwhelming thing for me so far, however, has been this feeling of total… contentment.  I feel sort of light and joyful all the time.  I float around a foot above the ground with a smile on my face.  Don’t get me wrong:  I’m generally positive anyway but this is weird.  Like… I love a good old whinge as much as the next pommy but somehow nothing annoys me anymore – even Bangkok traffic!  I have nothing to rant about.  I’m just… mildly euphoric.  Weird!

Am I scared?

The short answer: shitting myself!

Morgs and I watched some birthing videos this weekend.  Oh my god!!  There were women howling and shrieking uncontrollably, in total agony.  It was brutal.  Can I opt for a caesarean?  I may do!

What are our long term plans?

Short answer: Bangkok baby!

We’re going to have the baby at Samitivej hospital in Bangkok, under the expert care of Dr Sankiat, who was recommended by several friends here.  I am entitled to 45 days maternity leave which, rather conveniently, falls in between February half term and the Songkran holiday so I get around 2 months off, all in.  After that, when I go back to school, Morgs is going to be the full-time baby-daddy and keep life running smoothly for us all.

So that’s the plan so far.  We’re both just having such a lovely, happy time of it at the moment that we’re not really thinking too deeply about anything.  Everyone is being awesome – both of our families and all our friends are being so kind and supportive and we’re so grateful to everyone.  Totally feeling the love right now! Xxx

1 comment: